Thursday, October 9, 2014

Big Bumps and Change

A lot has happened since the last day I updated on Laura and her OIT. I haven't posted sooner for a myriad of reasons. However, I am starting to get a lot of questions. So....here we go.

I am not going to go into a lot of detail. Some of the details involve many other people, some are too private for Laura, and some are still a bit raw...

Laura did not do so well on her 5 peanut dose.  She updosed on Tuesday, September 23, and did fine. Wednesday night she had other people around her eating peanut products, and came home with some pretty lovely hives. Once again, we broke open the emergency meds and dosed her up. Dr. Jones is a saint with this, and was helping us out all evening in treating her and trying to get to the bottom of her problem. He felt that her exposure was just too much. So, we bumped her dose down the next day to let her recover.

Friday, Laura bumped back up to 5 and did fine Friday and Saturday.

Sunday night wasn't so great. Laura had a large reaction. Once again, Dr. Jones was right there for us as things got really crazy!!!  It was a hard evening for all of us. Luckily, she pulled out of things ok, and only left us with some emotional issues to deal with.

Our remnants on the kitchen table....
...and floor.
Laura and I slept together, and neither of us got much sleep, but she did fine and had no further issues, thankfully. Monday I opted to keep Laura home from school. She was exhausted, physically and mentally. As was I. She also had a stomach ache and we weren't sure if it was post-reaction pain or if she was potentially getting sick. Luckily by Tuesday she was feeling better and was able to return to school.

We were able to bump Laura back up to 4 peanuts, where she remained for another 8 days.

Tuesday Oct. 7th, we returned to Dr. Jones' office. After much thinking, Dr. Jones felt it best if we slow down Laura's dosing. I couldn't agree more. Laura has really struggled with reactions (although small until now) throughout this process. We feel that she just needs more time. So....we will schedule Laura for updosing every other week now instead of weekly.

We are definitely turtle-like in our progress (ok, so maybe even snail now!), but we will stick this out. We have the BEST DR EVER helping us, and we KNOW that Laura needs this. Probably now more than ever before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment