Laura has been on one peanut now for three weeks. This last week has continued to have its bumps. Laura did fine after backing back down to one peanut again. For a few days. Then she started having tummy aches. Not the "hey, Mom, my tummy hurts," then run off and play kind of tummy ache. The kind where she immediately climbs in bed, curls up in a ball, and cannot even read a book kind of tummy ache. :-( It is so hard to see her have to suffer. Unfortunately she is old enough to understand the correlation and it certainly doesn't help her with her desire to eat that poison.
She tends to be fine after her morning doses. I don't know why, but it is definitely true. School started and her mornings have become busy and that has helped with her getting the peanut down. She doesn't have time to do much more than throw it in her mouth and chew it up. Evening is a different story.
She sits at the table and stares at her dose. That evil nut that has caused her so much pain in her little lifetime. It is saving her, but she has yet to internalize that half of the equation. She stares at it and commiserates about how it is scary. And it is yucky. And "I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't want a tummy ache." And I don't blame her. OIT is HARD!!! I would love to take it all away from her, but in order to take away the fear of peanuts, she must face them. She knows it. We have talked about it. I have even asked if she wants to continue. She does. She wants to beat this thing, but it is HARD to face that poison every twelve hours!
Friday night, she threw up. She had a stomach ache one hour after dosing, and threw up two hours after dosing. She immediately felt better. We stayed up late into the night to watch her and make sure she was ok. She had no other symptoms, so I waited until morning to let Dr. Jones know.
I am pretty sure that throwing up passes the threshold of just pushing through things. Laura has now been on one peanut for almost two weeks. Dr. Jones is having us increase the probiotic and start zantac. I had expected that. I REALLY, REALLY don't like using a lot of meds, but OIT definitely has to be an exception. We are pushing Laura's body hard, and we will do whatever (ok, almost) we need to do to help her body learn to accept this poison. So...zantac, here we come!
The zantac helped to decrease the tummy aches drastically. They are still there a little, but we have just started the zantac, and it may take some time. Monday night, Laura had NO tummy ache!!!! Dr. Jones gave us the go-ahead to come in for updosing Tuesday.
So, Updosing?? Went great! Two peanuts down! No tummy ache, and no other symptoms!
Back on the road! We headed home and made up a new batch of peanut clusters!
We are hoping for lots of luck this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment