As I mentioned in my last post, Laura has been having swelling in her throat this week. Dr. Jones still wanted us to come in Tuesday for her "updose" appointment so he could see her and we could talk. The past couple days it has become obvious that the throat swelling is definitely related to her peanut dosing, and not from oral allergy syndrome.
Dr. Jones felt it best if she stay on her dosage of 15 mg for longer. I agree completely. This isn't a race, and we are willing to take whatever amount of time is necessary for her to conquer this allergy, and do so safely. He doesn't think that this is something that will persist, and we hope he is right!
Hopefully by next Tuesday Laura's body will be ready to increase the dose, but if not, IT IS ALL GOOD! She is currently tolerating 15 mg every twelve hours, and that is a MIRACLE!!! Hang tight, Laura, and remember that it is not always the hare that wins the race!!!
And, the good news for Laura, is that her indulgence in strawberries doesn't seem to be related to her throat swelling. Laura's comment to me yesterday morning was, "I am not sure I can do OIT if I can't have my fruit." Those of you who know Laura know what a huge sacrifice that would be. Laura has always dealt very well with not being able to eat MANY things. But fresh fruit is one thing that I don't think she could handle being restricted from!
At least she can still have her strawberries!!! And its ok, you are right, its not a race!! She will get there, even if you had to tack on an extra week! Stay Strong and Positive Laura!! We are behind you rooting you on!!
ReplyDeleteYou are right Amber!! We just picked up 8 pounds of strawberries on Saturday and she about lost it when we asked her to not eat them for a few days to figure things out! She DEVOURS (and I do not use that term loosely) fresh fruit. (Actually to the point a pediatric cardiologist told her to cut back on fruit and increase her salty snacks. No joke!!!)
ReplyDelete