Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Updosing: peanut butter, traveling danger and broken bones

This past week Laura has had a few tummy aches, but not enough or severe enough to prevent her from updosing. So, yesterday she could updose to 4 PEANUTS!!!! One of the dosing options was to use flavored peanut butter. Laura opted for that.
I know it is hard to imagine, but Laura has NEVER had anything to eat that is even vaguely like peanut butter. The flavored peanut butter isn't quite the same as normal peanut butter, but it has a definite undertone of peanut butter, and is the gooey, stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth consistency. But, how do you explain that to someone? You can't really. They just have to try  :-)

Laura got to dose with one teaspoon of the stuff! She isn't quite sure what to think of it!

Luckily she is a sport and has asked to keep trying it that way for a while. She says she is getting tired of the peanut clusters.

I am not sure if I have mentioned it before, but I LOVE the way Dr. Jones has things set up for his OIT patients. We start off in an exam room. We do vitals, talk about the week and any problems, do a PFT (lung test), and see Dr. Jones or Jennifer (his PA). Then, the party starts!
Jennifer! Dr. Jones' PA (photo from 8/5)
He has an room where the kids go to dose and hang out for the requisite waiting period. We enjoy this part. There is a big table and four recliners. All the OIT patients use the same room. So...the kids hang out together, talk, play minecraft, or craft. And the moms get to visit :-)  It is so nice to get to know other OIT families. Other people who have shared the same fears and the same crazy lifestyles. And they are doing the same thing as us. I LOVE the community :-)

Yesterday, we got to hang out with the Redd's again. Keaton started a while after Laura, but is now just one week behind. They are going to be switching to Wednesdays, so we will miss them.  There was also a young girl there just finishing a challenge for banana and strawberry. She will be starting peanut OIT soon. Lucky for her, she now gets to eat banana and strawberry! I LOVE to be able to share in the successes of these kids!

After dosing today, I got a treat. We met up for dinner with two other OIT families, the Martin and Todd family.  Amy Martin and her two kids relocated from Arizona for the treatment. Rebecca Todd and her three are here from Australia for it. It is SO FUN having the instant family that we have with this program. I had never met either of them before, but had a great time. I am super bummed I didn't take any pictures, but I forgot my camera. Maybe next time!

We visited with Dad and Bonnie for a while and slept at their house. This morning we were off to Primary Children's to see Dr. Holmes for Seth's arm. He broke it at school on Friday. Given the fact that this was his FOURTH arm fracture, we opted to take him to her. She recognized me as she walked into the room. Don't get me wrong, I love a friend, but I don't like it when it is that way! Leslie saw her for far too many visits with her leg fractures and CRPS. After a chat with her, we had Seth all casted up. Luckily, she feels that we really do not need to worry about underlying issues with Seth at this point in time. YAY!! She did recommend supplementing him with vitamin D.
So....travel. Well. Lets just say it wasn't the best travel trip. On our way down, we had a little situation with this oblivious old man from Oregon. He was driving a large vehicle, and was pulling a big old trailer. He was TOTALLY in his own world. I was in the left lane, he in the right. I was almost to the cab of his vehicle when he turned into my lane. He drove us all the way onto the shoulder. Of course it was in the 80 MPH area, so we weren't going exactly slow. Luckily, I kept control, although we did get awfully close to some of the bars as I was desperately slowing down and waiting for his truck and trailer to pass. GRRR.  I was blasting my horn the whole time, but HE NEVER NOTICED!!! HELLO!!!

Well, on the way home, a semi did the exact same thing!! Bizarre! Luckily the semi noticed and did pull back into his lane. But, not until after I honked and once again acquainted myself with the shoulder. Today I was HAPPY TO MAKE IT HOME!!!

Bonnie Arnold, Jackie Fabian, Glow Tesch and 10 others like this.
 
 
Amber Delmonico: WAIT!!! SHE IS UP TO PEANUT BUTTER????? Holy cow!!!! SOOOOOO EXCITING!!!!!! PLEASE tell Laura I said congratulations!!!!! Hugs!!!!
 

Kaye Sherman Levine: Yay, Yay, & Yay! One for Laura, one for Seth, & one because you survived the drive~twice!

 
Andrea Marley: Awesome, 4 peanuts! I hate those semi drivers, they are dangerous.
 

Josee Dee Conrad: So happy things went well for you guys!!!! So amazing she is at 4 peanuts. We can't wait to meet you guys!!!
 

Rebecca Todd: Loved meeting you and your kids DeAnn & hope to see you again soon!
 
Becky Hawkes: Oh gosh, I am SO glad you guys drove okay. It is scary to have to trust other people on the road.

Jackie Fabian: Awwwww. When we talked to Seth he didn't know when he would get the cast. Hopefully for only a short time!

 
Douglas Jones: I am so happy for Laura!! She has come such a long way!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment